Monday, April 18, 2005

I went to Los Angeles this weekend and was struck by what appears to be an essential difference between LA and many other cities. Black people are often wealthy in LA. It was an idea that struck me early and often. I'd seen well off black families before. I've seen many african american middle class households residing in those standard suburbs of west wichita. But in my head the role of over-dressed, slightly pompous looking rich person had been reserved for fat, white men and over-tanned women.

This weekend, it was as if a bulb went off in my head. A stereotype that I'd longed to see altered in my head was finally shifting. I've decided to like Los Angeles for any number of reasons. I reminds me of a smoggier, busier, palm tree-filled Wichita. It is busy and exciting and there's always a chance that you'll accidentally walk into a famous Jewish person's bar mitzfah (long story). Everyone is pleasant (when they aren't attempting to kill you on the 101). The ocean is right there. Every conceivable store is near and attractively built. Most importantly, though, is the city's diversity. In many places you'll hear at least one or two more languages. Black people, white people, and latino people are all working together. In the same strip mall you might see signs for russian food, greek food, asian food, and hamburgers.

What a place.

|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home